blank

Ashurst in Kent

Google map showing area surrounding Ashurst
(Miraculous Carving)
Location: 51.129711,0.155676
General Details

Ashurst Kent - St Martins Church

Ashurst in Kent lies on the A264 Tunbridge Wells to East Grinstead road, its name is probably derived from the Anglo Saxon Aesc hurst - the ash wood.

In the 14th century a local carpenter created a carving that the local priest proclaimed to be miraculous. This drew in thousands of pilgrims which significantly helped the local economy, in 1524 Sir Martin Christopher left his rings and broaches to the carving.

Views
Ashurst Kent - The villageAshurst in Kent is found by driving down the A264 from Tunbridge Wells and the best views are facing down towards the railway bridge from the church.
Services
Ashurst Kent - Looking down the HillThe village only has a few local services. Tunbridge Wells about 5 miles east provides the nearest large town facilities.
Map
Ashurst is shown as the red symbol on the map.

Nearby Villages

(click on symbol to see the village page)
Bells Yew Green (The ruins of Bayham Abbey)6.47 miles
Blackham (Roughs and Prize Fighters)0.63 miles
Chiddingstone (A perfect Tudor village)3.96 miles
Colemans Hatch (Church on the edge of the forest)4.89 miles
Eridge Green (The home of the Neville Family)3.65 miles
Fordcombe (Paper Mill and the Field Marshal)1.36 miles
Forest Row (The Kings hunting party)5.79 miles
Frant (King Johns hunting lodge)5.53 miles
Groombridge (Home of the Groombridge Gang)1.75 miles
Hartfield (A.A.Milne and Winnie-the-Pooh)2.71 miles
Hever (Anne Boleyn and the Castle)4.34 miles
Langton Green (Modern village and Old Quarry)2.54 miles
Rusthall (The Toad Rock)3.24 miles
Speldhurst (Nobleman captured at Agincourt)3.14 miles
Withyham (De La Warrs and Sackvilles)2.20 miles
Copyright Villagenet 1998-2017
 
Local Businesses
Ella Clarke
Battle Brewery
Richard Vobes
Tenderheart