blank

Bells Yew Green in East Sussex

Google map showing area surrounding Bells Yew Green
(The ruins of Bayham Abbey)
Location: 51.102246,0.297317
General Details

Bells Yew Green Sussex - Brecknock Arms

Bells Yew Green in East Sussex lies about 3 miles to the east of Royal Tunbridge Wells , 2 miles north of Frant and about 7 miles west of Lamberhurst. The village is very small, with most houses being of modern design. The name is derived from the medieval french Bels Lieux which meant beautiful place.

Bells Yew Green is within the area of the Bayham woods, which were thick and impassable until the trees were cut down to make charcoal for the charcoal to power the iron industry. In the early 1200's the monks of Otham Priory in Polegate which was built in 1175, moved to settle Bayham Abbey (between Lamberhurst and Bells Yew Green ) together with the monks of Brockley near Lewisham. The abbey was built by the Premonstration Order on the borders of two dioceses hence benefitting from exemption from both. From 1260 the monks were involved in a small scale bullying of the monks at Michelham Priory , and nearly closed the Priory down with the costs of the defense. In the 1400's the monks were accused of robbery, rape and other offenses, but in 1494 this was brought under control by Richard Redman one of the greatest Premonstratensian commissaries. In 1536 - 37 Henry VIII dissolved the monastries and the Abbey was largely destroyed.

Originally there was a settlement at Ley Green about 1/4 mile south of the railway track on the Frant road. This was a farming community, but in the 1500's most of the population were involved in some way with the iron industry , either in the forges at Benhall, Breechers and Dundale ( towards Pembury ), or those towards Lamberhurst , Tollslye furnace and Bayham Forge .

From the early 1600's smuggling was rife in the area, as the iron industry declined, with the area towards Pembury known as Bush House being a distribution centre for the smuggled good from the continent to the towns to the north.

Views
Bells Yew Green East Sussex - Bayham AbbeyBells Yew Green in East Sussex is out in the country, and has many trees and woods in the surrounding area. The Green is quite attractive, surrounded by trees and cottages.

Bayham Abbey is very old and attractive and is well worth visiting, the road from Bells Yew Green to Bayham is tree lined, and deer are often seen crossing the road.
Services
Bells Yew Green East Sussex - The Village GreenBells Yew Green in East Sussex has only a public house in the village the nearest major shopping centre is in Royal Tunbridge Wells about 3 miles west.

The village has a station on the main line from London to Hastings which provides an hourly service to the capital, and more frequently during the rush hour.
Map
Bells Yew Green is shown as the red symbol on the map.

Nearby Villages

(click on symbol to see the village page)
Ashurst (Miraculous Carving)6.47 miles
Blackham (Roughs and Prize Fighters)7.07 miles
Brenchley (A beautiful Kent village)5.39 miles
Crowborough (The home of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle)6.42 miles
Eridge Green (The home of the Neville Family)3.24 miles
Flimwell (300 local people beheaded)7.29 miles
Fordcombe (Paper Mill and the Field Marshal)5.72 miles
Frant (King Johns hunting lodge)1.24 miles
Groombridge (Home of the Groombridge Gang)4.92 miles
Horsmonden (The largest Wealden Iron Works)6.34 miles
Kilndown (Charcoal for the Furnace)5.70 miles
Lamberhurst (Scotney Castle and Gardens)4.13 miles
Langton Green (Modern village and Old Quarry)4.14 miles
Mark Cross (Policeman arrests eccentric landowner)3.34 miles
Matfield (Largest Village Green in Kent)4.40 miles
Pembury (The ghost of Hawkwell)3.43 miles
Rotherfield (Source of the rivers Rother and Uck)5.18 miles
Rusthall (The Toad Rock)3.80 miles
Speldhurst (Nobleman captured at Agincourt)4.77 miles
Ticehurst (Anne Boleyn and Pashley Manor)6.24 miles
Wadhurst (Last bare fisted Prize-Fight in England)3.33 miles
Copyright Villagenet 1998-2017
 
Local Businesses
Richard Vobes
Tenderheart
Battle Brewery
Ella Clarke