blank

Chiddingstone in Kent

Google map showing area surrounding Chiddingstone
(A perfect Tudor village)
Location: 51.186561,0.148124
Current translation for Chiddingstone
  chidd derived from cetel - a kettle
  ing derived from nering - to protect(fortified) - appears to show border posts as the Saxons expand.
  stone derived from stenen - stoney - probably a roman road milestone or builders stone
Place name translation provided by www.saxonhistory.co.ukClick here to use this translation on your website
General Details

Chiddingstone Kent - The graveyard

Chiddingstone in Kent lies off the B2027 between Penshurst and Edenbridge in Kent.

The village was founded before the arrival of King William and the Normans in 1066 and was owned by Earl Godwin father of King Harold. It was given to Bishop Odo after the invasion. The first mention of the church is in the Domesday Monachorum of 1070, where the church is recorded as part of the Diocese of Canterbury, and was handed over by Bishop Odo in 1072. It was also recorded in the Textus Roffensis from 1125AD.

In 1450 local men Roger Attwood and William Hunt joined the ranks of the Jack Cade rebels, they were arrested, but subsequently pardoned.

Sir Thomas Bullen(Boleyn) of nearby Hever (the father of Anne Boleyn ) bought property in the village during the early 1500's before the family's fall from grace after Anne was executed by Henry VIII .

The Streatfeild family were the major landowners in the area from at least 1584, with Richard being one of the ironmasters of the wealden iron industry . The iron industry provided local employment and wealth until the early 1800's when the industry moved to the midlands. In the early 1900's one of the Streatfeilds turned the original manor house into Chiddingstone Castle, which is a good example of the Gothic Revival style. The family still remain landowners in the village.

The church has a good collection of hatchments from the 17th and 18th centuries.

In 1939 the National Trust took over the village, and it is now a perfect example of a Tudor village in the UK.

Views
Chiddingstone Kent - Black and White housesChiddingstone in Kent is a beautiful village with many black and white tudor houses.

The high street is overlooked by houses built in the 1500 and 1600's. The church is quite attractive and its warm sandstone construction contrasts with the houses.

The gothic splendour of Chiddingstone Castle can be seen from a few places on the route through the village.
Services
Chiddingstone Kent - The high streetThe village is very small and has a few local services.

Penshurst station at Chiddingstone in Kent Causeway provides access east to Tonbridge and west to Edenbridge.

The nearest local shopping centre lies at Edenbridge about 5 miles west, or the major centre of Tonbridge about four miles to the east.
Map
Chiddingstone is shown as the red symbol on the map.

Nearby Villages

(click on symbol to see the village page)
Ashurst (Miraculous Carving)3.96 miles
Blackham (Roughs and Prize Fighters)3.57 miles
Chiddingstone Causeway (Penshurst Station ??)1.44 miles
Edenbridge (Roman Crossing to Victorian Bridge)3.66 miles
Fordcombe (Paper Mill and the Field Marshal)3.49 miles
Hever (Anne Boleyn and the Castle)1.62 miles
Langton Green (Modern village and Old Quarry)4.83 miles
Rusthall (The Toad Rock)4.97 miles
Sevenoaks Weald (Lower the tower by twenty feet)4.10 miles
Speldhurst (Nobleman captured at Agincourt)3.99 miles
Copyright Villagenet 1998-2017
 
Local Businesses
Battle Brewery
Richard Vobes
Ella Clarke
Tenderheart