The village was mentioned in the Domesday Book , but without a church.
It is likely that Fletching in East Sussex was an Anglo Saxon fort which was
founded in the late 400's AD .
The village was a major producer of Bows and Arrows from the 13th Century
and these were used in the Battle of Agincourt in 1415.
(many thanks to Graham Vincent for providing the above details)
The village lies at one of the entrances to the current Sheffield Park ,
and it seems likely the main reason the church was constructed was for
spiritual guidance of the Lords of the Manor. The present church was started
in the late 1100's and was completed in 1230, and is one of the largest in
In 1264 Simon de Montfort stopped at Fletching for the Bishop of Worcester
to celebrate mass and bless the troops before the Battle of Lewes, in which
Simon defeated King Henry III's troops, who arrived from the east via
Flimwell , Hurst Green and Battle .
In 1450 the great rebellion of Jack Cade effected the village, Peter Denot a
glover and others from the village took part in the uprising, but were
The church has had its share of famous people associated with it:-
There is a fine brass of Sir Walter Dalyngrigge and his wife in the church from
about 1380 , one of Sir Walters sons Sir Edwards was responsible for building
the last great medieval castle at Bodiam .
The High Sheriff of Sussex and Surrey, Richard Leche who died in 1596 is
remembered by the full size alabaster figures of himself and his wife
The Neville Family who owned Eridge Park left their mark on the church by
leaving some of their armour in the church, this dates from about 1720.
The author Edward Gibbons was buried in the mausoleum in 1794, it was he who
wrote 'The Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire'.
During the late 1800's hop growing came to the area, and the crops were
carried to the large towns by the railway from nearby Isfield .
This village is associated with the Sussex Bonfire Societies , who provide
noisy processions, unbelievable outfits and fantastic firework displays throughout
the month of November - a spectacle not to be missed.
|Fletching in East Sussex village is a very old and very pretty village, although a bit
overgrown with that modern weed the motorcar.
The view from the road junction beside the church is really good in all
directions, with the high street and its black and white houses just
providing the best view. |
|The village has the usual local services, with its nearest main town being
Uckfield , a few miles to the East.|
The nearest trains also run from Uckfield .
|Fletching is shown as the red symbol on the map.|
(click on symbol to see the village page)
||(Charcoal and Soot)||5.55 miles|
||(The first Iron Cannon in England)||4.32 miles|
||The Forest entrance and President Kennedy||3.86 miles|
||(Charcoal and the Army)||3.19 miles|
||(380 years without a church tower)||4.57 miles|
||(Wealden Cannons and Charcoal)||6.58 miles|
||(Simon de Montfort and the Lavender Line)||4.23 miles|
||(Soldiers and Iron)||2.38 miles|
||(Killer Cricket and Dirk Bogarde)||1.46 miles|
||(Edward III and the Post Mill)||2.88 miles|
||(The Piltdown Man hoax)||1.40 miles|
||(Capability Brown and the Bluebell Line)||1.32 miles|
||(Traction Engine destroys bridge)||3.27 miles|