blank

Smeeth in Kent

Google map showing area surrounding Smeeth
(The Scott Family)
Location: 51.119316,0.960267
General Details

Smeeth in Kent is a small village lying along the A20 between Ashford and Sellindge . The name is derived from the Anglo Saxon meaning a smooth clearing in the wood.

The church was started by the Normans, as can be seen by parts of the tower.

The village is closely tied with the Scott family who had a manor house between Smeeth and Sellindge which was lost some time after 1600. The family was started by John Balliol, who founded Balliol College , and had many famous members including Sir William Scott who was Knight Marshal of England in 1350.

Nowadays the village is small and closely tied to Brabourne .

Views
Smeeth in Kent lies on a hill facing towards the south. The church is pretty and the views across the fields opposite are fine when the crops are ready to harvest.
Services
Smeeth in Kent has no services, except for one public house.

The nearest main town is Ashford , about 4 miles north west, which provides a major shopping centre, supermarkets and the main line station to London , Paris and Brussels .
Map
Smeeth is shown as the red symbol on the map.

Nearby Villages

(click on symbol to see the village page)
Aldington (The Aldington Gang)2.02 miles
Bilsington (The Priory and Obelisk)3.84 miles
Bonnington (Saint Rumwold the child saint)3.06 miles
Hamstreet and Orlestone (The Start of the Ordnance Survey)5.74 miles
Lympne (From Roman Castle to Tigers)4.19 miles
Mersham (Founder of Ashford Grammar School)1.18 miles
Ruckinge (Smuggling and Traction Engines)4.88 miles
Sellindge (Oliver Cromwells Horse)2.33 miles
Sevington (Saxons and Dual Carriageway)2.36 miles
Copyright Villagenet 1998-2017
 
Local Businesses
Battle Brewery
Richard Vobes
Tenderheart
Ella Clarke