blank

Newchurch in Kent

Google map showing area surrounding Newchurch
(The Church Tower with a kink)
Location: 51.045229,0.931590
General Details

St Peter and St Paul church (Newchurch Kent)

Newchurch in Kent lies in one of the oldest parts of the Romney Marsh . The Romans created the Dymchurch Wall and the Rhee Wall which protected the harbour at Lympne . The land between originally used to provide salt to the legions became slowly filled with alluvial deposits and turned into rich farmland.

The church was started in the 1200's with the tower being started about 1410 however because the land around is reclaimed silt, the tower started leaning when the second stage had been completed. Buttresses were added to stabilise this and the top of the tower was added in 1480 this was built perpendicular to the ground. Because of this the church tower has a major bend in the middle with the lower two sections leaning to the west.

The village is in quite an isolated position, and was a centre for the sheep and wool trade . Because of this owlers would frequent the area to obtain the wool for its illegal export. It is likely as with most of the other Marsh churches, that smuggled goods would have been stored in the church, the most likely gang to do this would have been the Aldington Gang who were based at Aldington just inland from Newchurch .

St Peter and St Paul at Newchurch is one of those churches supported by the Romney Marsh Historic Churches Trust .

Views
The church is unusual with the bend in the tower, it is also very old and is nice just to visit. The buildings around the church give an ancient feel to the area.

All around lie the flat lands of the Romney Marsh , with their dykes, and rich farmland, a pleasant place to ride around on a summers day.
Services
Newchurch in Kent has very few village services, and to get anywhere requires a car.

Hamstreet about 4 miles north has the nearest shops and facilities, and also the nearest train station.

Ashford about 8 miles north has the full range of shops, supermarkets and also the Eurostar train service to Brussels and Paris .
Map
Newchurch is shown as the red symbol on the map.

Nearby Villages

(click on symbol to see the village page)
Aldington (The Aldington Gang)3.30 miles
Appledore (Danes invade England)6.33 miles
Bilsington (The Priory and Obelisk)2.19 miles
Bonnington (Saint Rumwold the child saint)2.36 miles
Brenzett (St Eanswyth a saxon princess)4.19 miles
Brookland (13th century wooden spire)5.29 miles
Burmarsh (The fortress in the Marsh?)3.04 miles
Dymchurch (The Romans and the sea wall)3.14 miles
Fairfield (The Isolated Church)6.48 miles
Hamstreet and Orlestone (The Start of the Ordnance Survey)4.29 miles
Ivychurch (The burial ground on the Island)2.94 miles
Kenardington (Danes destroy Saxon Fort)5.33 miles
Lympne (From Roman Castle to Tigers)4.61 miles
Old Romney (Sheep and Wool Smuggling)4.12 miles
Ruckinge (Smuggling and Traction Engines)2.35 miles
Snargate (Sluice Gates made by Royal Order)4.34 miles
Snave (the Remote church)2.81 miles
St Mary in the Marsh (Ancient Celts)2.31 miles
St Marys Bay (Holidays and Beaches)3.29 miles
Warehorne (A good place to explore the Marshes)4.16 miles
Woodchurch (Dragoons capture Smugglers)7.04 miles
Copyright Villagenet 1998-2017
 
Local Businesses
Battle Brewery
Ella Clarke
Tenderheart
Richard Vobes