blank

Snave in Kent

Google map showing area surrounding Snave
(the Remote church)
Location: 51.034261,0.869680
General Details

Saint Augustines church (Snave Kent)

Snave in Kent is located just off the A256 which links Ashford , via Hamstreet to the centre of Romney Marsh at Brookland . The village only consists of the church and two or thre houses.

The church dedicated to Saint Augustine is one of the most remote churches on the Romney Marsh . It is very small and stands at the end of a deep grass track.

The church consists of a chancel with a North Chapel, nave and a crennelated West Tower, which forms the main entrance to the church.

For the most part, the church dates from the 13th century, but the upper part of the tower was added later. To combat the constant problem of subsidence there are 14 buttresses around the building.

The furnishings mostly date from a restoration of 1873, similar to other churches nearby. The Victorian pulpit and reading desk do containsome panel work of the 15th century, possibly from an old screen. One of the bells was cast by Steven Norton of Maidstone, around 1380. Only two other bells of his manufacture are known to survive.

Sadly this remote church was declared redundant, and its upkeep and maintenance was placed in the care of the Romney Marsh Historic Churches Trust in 1984.

St Augustine at Snave is one of those churches supported by the Romney Marsh Historic Churches Trust .

Views
St Augustines church is very old and peaceful, and is well worth a visit.

From the road to Snave in Kent , the full extent of the flat landscape, originally marsh, but now rich farmland is visible to its full extent.
Services
Snave in Kent has no local services , the village consists of a very few houses and the church.

The nearest train runs from Appledore station on the Hastings to Ashford line, which runs hourly services across the Romney Marsh .
Map
Snave is shown as the red symbol on the map.

Nearby Villages

(click on symbol to see the village page)
Aldington (The Aldington Gang)5.17 miles
Appledore (Danes invade England)3.56 miles
Bilsington (The Priory and Obelisk)3.28 miles
Bonnington (Saint Rumwold the child saint)4.13 miles
Brenzett (St Eanswyth a saxon princess)1.82 miles
Brookland (13th century wooden spire)2.86 miles
Burmarsh (The fortress in the Marsh?)5.81 miles
Dymchurch (The Romans and the sea wall)5.66 miles
Fairfield (The Isolated Church)3.74 miles
Hamstreet and Orlestone (The Start of the Ordnance Survey)3.12 miles
Iden (Sheriff of Kent and Jack Cade)7.06 miles
Ivychurch (The burial ground on the Island)1.71 miles
Kenardington (Danes destroy Saxon Fort)3.08 miles
Littlestone (The Genteel Resort)5.31 miles
Newchurch (The Church Tower with a kink)2.81 miles
New Romney (Cinque Port and Storm)4.58 miles
Old Romney (Sheep and Wool Smuggling)3.25 miles
Ruckinge (Smuggling and Traction Engines)2.33 miles
Snargate (Sluice Gates made by Royal Order)1.58 miles
St Mary in the Marsh (Ancient Celts)3.61 miles
St Marys Bay (Holidays and Beaches)5.10 miles
Stone in Oxney (Roman stone altar)4.77 miles
Warehorne (A good place to explore the Marshes)2.13 miles
Woodchurch (Dragoons capture Smugglers)4.88 miles
Copyright Villagenet 1998-2017
 
Local Businesses
Battle Brewery
Richard Vobes
Tenderheart
Ella Clarke