Bishopstone in East Sussex is a small village now lying inland from the coast between
Newhaven and Seaford . The village was settled by the Saxons , and the
church is part Saxon and part Norman. Originally the name comes from
Biscopes tun the bishops farmstead.
In 1324 King Edward II stayed with the Bishops of Chichester at Bishopstone
for a couple of days.
In 1780 William Catt was born at Buxted the son of a farmer. He was married
at 21 and his family bought a farm at Robertsbridge for the couple.
He was interested in automation of the flour grinding process, and had some
dealings with the mill at Lamberhurst . One of his cousins lived at
Bishopstone and had some land, Catt went into partnership, and leased the
mile or so of land between his cousins mill and the sea from Lord Sheffield .
In this area he built a resevoir, which was filled by the tide, and built a
mill which worked using the water from the sea for power. It grew into the
largest water-mill in Sussex from five pairs of grinding stones to sixteen
pairs. The area is still known as Tidemills.
During the Second World War the Tidemills area was used by the Army for
artillery practice from Newhaven Fort, and the TideMill and its
surrounding buildings were obliterated.
Many thanks to David Lyndhurst for the following information.
[Catt was 21 when he married, not 19 as given by Lower and subsequently
erroneously perpetuated by many others. See parish register entries for
his baptism and marriage. I have much information on Catt/Willett family
if of interest.]
|Bishopstone in East Sussex lies in a valley in the South Downs. The village consists
of a few large houses, and the church.|
The area around the church is very attractive and peaceful, with walks
throughout the area.
|Bishopstone in East Sussex has no local services, and the nearest shopping is in
Denton about 1 mile west or Seaford 2 miles east.|
The main shopping centre of Newhaven lies about 3 miles to the west.
Trains can be caught from Bishopstone station about 1 1/2 miles from the
|Bishopstone is shown as the red symbol on the map.|
(click on symbol to see the village page)
||(Fifty thousand tiles on the Barn)||3.45 miles|
||(Smuggling and Ghosts)||3.23 miles|
||(Peaceful Saxon Village)||6.00 miles|
||(Sharpen your arrows on the Church)||3.64 miles|
||(Earl Godwins Manor)||1.47 miles|
||(Mutiny and the Edge of Space)||0.92 miles|
||(Fishing and Wrecking)||5.67 miles|
||(Alfred the Great's Naval Base?)||2.96 miles|
||(Teasles and Badgers)||5.55 miles|
||(Home of the Railway Children)||5.38 miles|
||(Smugglers and Churchill Tanks)||5.56 miles|
||(Secret marriage of George IV)||3.01 miles|
||(destroyed by Cromwell ??)||3.36 miles|
||(The cormorants or shags)||1.29 miles|
||(Tomb to store the Contraband)||4.46 miles|
||(The Chest from the Spanish Armarda)||2.71 miles|
||(The Long Man)||4.91 miles|
||(Home of the Greengage)||3.84 miles|